Subject: Re: Unable to resume screen session following accidental disconnection

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 21:21:44 +0100

I use screen -x to attach to an attached session, have you tried this?

On 02/07/2008, Samir Unni <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was using screen, and my session was disconnected while outputting a lot
> of text (presumably due to a router choking---the upwidth for the remote box
> is pretty low, only about 13 kB/s). When the line was back up, I attempted
> to resume my screen session, but it was already attached (presumably because
> the connection was dropped unexpectedly). However, none of the commands I
> try, including screen -r [pid], screen -d [pid], screen -R [pid], screen -D
> [pid], screen -rD [pid], screen -RD [pid], screen -rd [pid], and screen -Rd
> [pid] will reattach this session. I tried running an strace on the pid, and
> it says that it's still outputting text. After waiting a while, I somehow
> managed to get the sesion to reattach---I'm not sure how. The problem
> occured again shortly afterwards, and I can't figure out how to actually fix
> it. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Samir Unni
>

_______________________________________________
screen-users mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/screen-users

---

From: "Samir Unni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 15:22:57 -0500

No, I haven't. I'll try it the next time I encounter this problem. Turns out
that when I let it sit for about 10 minutes, the session finally appears.

---

From: Vladimir Marek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 11:27:36 +0200

> that when I let it sit for about 10 minutes, the session finally appears.

This also happened to me several times, unfortunately I never was ready
with debugger.

-- 
	Vlad

---

From: "dark wolf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 15:25:35 +0200

just kill the last ssh session that was used to attach your screen session
then try again.

---

From: Vladimir Marek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 15:36:08 +0200

> just kill the last ssh session that was used to attach your screen session

I think that the screen was local, but I might be wrong. I'll remember
it though.

Thank you for the tip

---

From: "Samir Unni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 11:04:51 -0500

I just ran into the same issue, and 'screen -x [session name]' worked
perfectly. Thanks for the tip!

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 3:22 PM, Samir Unni <[email-masked]> wrote:

> No, I haven't. I'll try it the next time I encounter this problem. Turns
> out that when I let it sit for about 10 minutes, the session finally
> appears.
>
>

---

From: "Samir Unni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 14:05:24 -0500

Actually, when it happened to me a second time a little while later, 'screen
-x [session name]' would not work. I just had to wait for something (don't
know exactly what) to time out.

---

From: Vladimir Marek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 09:39:16 +0200

> know exactly what) to time out.

Exactly, I found out that screen -x helped few times, bug was hung other
times.