Subject: config to get screen to never touch the hardware status line in xterm

From: Alex Tang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 13:43:03 -0700

Hi folks. 

I've been reading on google and in the archives about how folks do cool 
things with the hardstatus and "hardware status" line in xterms.  I'm 
trying to do exactly the opposite...I want screen (when used in a 
terminal program that announces itself as "xterm" e.g. real xterm or 
putty) to never touch the hardware status line (title bar) of the window. 

I tried "hardstatus off", which makes the "C-a w" command and other 
informational messages appear in the last line of the terminal in 
reverse text (as if i was using a vt100 or some other terminal type that 
doesn't have the hardware status capability), however there are still 
some actions (creating a new window, switching windows), that muck with 
the title bar.

I don't have access to the termcap/terminfos so i can't change those.  
I'm looking for a way to do this via command line or via .screenrc.

Is there a config param i missed?  Or does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks.

...alex...

_______________________________________________
screen-users mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/screen-users

---

From: Micah Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 08:36:47 -0700

> putty) to never touch the hardware status line (title bar) of the window.

AIUI, Screen will only ever touch the xterm title bar if it has been
told it's the "hardstatus line" via "termcapinfo" lines that define the
fs and ts features.

- --
Micah J. Cowan
Programmer, musician, typesetting enthusiast, gamer.
GNU Maintainer: wget, screen, teseq
http://micah.cowan.name/

---

From: [email-masked] (Trent W. Buck)
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 09:50:22 +1000

> told it's the "hardstatus line" via "termcapinfo" lines that define the

When I've had the misfortune to use CentOS-based hosts, I noticed they
fucked with the xterm window title by default.  This probably means that
either RHEL or the guy who built our SOE put stupid nonstandard things
in /etc/screenrc (or /etc/X11/Xresources/xterm).

---

From: Alex Tang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 08:42:38 -0700

Hi again folks.

Thanks for the info. I primarily use RHEL and CentOS based systems, so 
poking around teh /etc/screenrc shows that they added the hardstatus 
stuff specifically. 

I am able to get what i want by putting

  termcapinfo xterm hs@

in my .screenrc and it works like a charm. 

Thanks very much! 

...alex...

>Micah Cowan <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>/ Alex Tang wrote:/
>/>> Hi folks./
>/>> I've been reading on google and in the archives about how folks do cool/
>/>> things with the hardstatus and "hardware status" line in xterms.  I'm/
>/>> trying to do exactly the opposite...I want screen (when used in a/
>/>> terminal program that announces itself as "xterm" e.g. real xterm or/
>/>> putty) to never touch the hardware status line (title bar) of the window./
>>
>/> AIUI, Screen will only ever touch the xterm title bar if it has been/
>/> told it's the "hardstatus line" via "termcapinfo" lines that define the/
>/> fs and ts features./
>