Subject: Italic text with screen inside urxvt and some termcap questions

From: "Kazuo Teramoto" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 17:36:23 -0300

Hello, sometime ago (in 2006) someone asked if is possible to print
italic text when using screen inside urxvt, but it received no
replies...

Someone know if it is possible? I tried some things with termcap (but
to be sincere I don't fully understand the concept of
termcaps/terminfo) like adding the following line to screenrc:

  termcapinfo rxvt* so=:se= ZH=\E[3m:ZR=\E[m

My idea is that i needed to remove the definition of standout and put
the italic in the place of \E[3m. But that don't works (well i think
that is not supposed to work, but as I sad i dont fully understand
what the termcap is all about)... In urxvt, outside of screen, the
string '\33[3mHello\33[m' prints hello in italic.

In the screen manual 'Standout' have a '(ANSI: Italicized)' what is
that is supposed to mean?

Thanks for any anwser!

Bye,
Kazuo Teramoto

-- 
«Dans la vie, rien n'est à craindre, tout est à comprendre»
Marie Sklodowska Curie.
_______________________________________________
screen-users mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/screen-users

---

From: Micah Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 14:09:36 -0700

> that is supposed to mean?

It means that what Screen uses for standout mode, ANSI (and rxvt) uses
for italics mode. I don't know why this is the case, but the fact that
it is means that making screen support italics would be a PITA.

If we make screen use \033[3m for italics (instead of its current use
for standout), and \033[7m for standout (ANSI's "negative image"), then
all pre-existing termcap/terminfo definitions for screen will be wrong,
and users will have to be especially careful not to use newer versions
of screen with older termcap/terminfo definitions for screen.

Nevertheless, it seems like it might not be a terrible idea to start
migration, or at least support a configuration option for it. I don't
know when such a change might be effected, though.

- --
Micah J. Cowan
Programmer, musician, typesetting enthusiast, gamer.
GNU Maintainer: wget, screen, teseq
http://micah.cowan.name/