Subject: Frozen or locked screen?

From: "Pandurangan R S" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:59:04 +0530

Hi,

My screen looks to be frozen. screen -x (or screen -d) also gets stuck.

I recently saw a thread which talks about accidentally locking the
screen and thinking it is frozen.
Is the case with my screen now? If so, how can i unlock it?

If I strace the screen process, I observe the following. Any hints?

Process 15342 attached - interrupt to quit
pause()                                 = ? ERESTARTNOHAND (To be restarted)
--- SIGALRM (Alarm clock) @ 0 (0) ---
sigreturn()                             = ? (mask now [])
alarm(0)                                = 0
kill(6866, SIG_0)                       = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGALRM, {0x806a540, [], 0}, {0x806a540, [], 0}, 8) = 0
alarm(15)                               = 0
pause()                                 = ? ERESTARTNOHAND (To be restarted)
--- SIGALRM (Alarm clock) @ 0 (0) ---
sigreturn()                             = ? (mask now [])
alarm(0)                                = 0
kill(6866, SIG_0)                       = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGALRM, {0x806a540, [], 0}, {0x806a540, [], 0}, 8) = 0
alarm(15)                               = 0
pause(

Thanks
Pandu

_______________________________________________
screen-users mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/screen-users

---

From: "Samir Unni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 08:32:46 -0500

Hi,

Whenever this happens to me, I just run 'screen -x <session name>' and wait
for 10-15 minutes for it to successfully connect. The best thing to do would
be to avoid sending too much data over a low bandwidth connection. I try to
prevent this as often as possible, but sometimes I forget to filter the
output or something. I don't know of any permanent solution.

Thanks,

Samir Unni

---

From: "Pandurangan R S" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 19:06:49 +0530

Thanks. I am not having any backtick commands in hardstatus.

My screenrc has
hardstatus string '%{= kc}[ %{C}%H %{c}]%{G}%= %{=
kw}%?%-Lw%?%{g}%{G}%n*%f%t%?%u%?%{g}%{w}%?%+Lw%?%?%= %{G}%{c}[%{C}
%d/%m %{C}%c %{c}]'

Backticks are present only in the following line in my entire screenrc
(and this will not be a problem)
escape `` # Instead of Control-a, make the escape/command character be
` (backtick)

I would also like to point out that I am able to start new screen
sessions on the same host without any issues.

Thanks
Pandu

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 6:57 PM, Thomas Adam <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> 2008/7/16 Pandurangan R S <[email-masked]>:
> > Hi,
> >
> I don't suppose you've got some backtick commands in your hardstatus, have you?
>
> -- Thomas Adam

---

From: "Pandurangan R S" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 19:13:18 +0530

> for 10-15 minutes for it to successfully connect.

I waited for around 30 mins hoping that i will get attached to the
screen, but that didn't happen :(

> The best thing to do would
> be to avoid sending too much data over a low bandwidth connection.

My desktop and the host on which i run screen are within a LAN.

Thanks for the help.

-- Pandu

---

From: "Thomas Adam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 14:27:30 +0100

-- Thomas Adam

---

From: "Samir Unni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 14:34:30 -0500

Hi,

It seems that you are having a different problem then. Do you ever actually
use the locking feature? If not, then maybe you could just change the
keybinding for that to something hard to type so you never accidentally
activate it?

Thanks,

Samir

---

From: Juergen Weigert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 23:52:36 +0200

> rt_sigaction(SIGALRM, {0x806a540, [], 0}, {0x806a540, [], 0}, 8) = 0

Process id 6866 is your screen master process. 
Please show a trace of this one.

        cheers,
                Jw.

-- 
 o \  Juergen Weigert      unix-software __/ _=======.=======_     
<V> | [email-masked]         creator    __/        _---|____________\/    
 \  |            0179/2069677      __/          (____/            /\
(/) | ____________________________/              _/ \_ vim:set sw=2 wm=8

---

From: "Pandurangan R S" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 09:30:11 +0530

No. I never use the locking feature. How can i disable the
corresponding keybinding?

Thanks
Pandu

---

From: "Pandurangan R S" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 09:33:20 +0530

Unfortunately, I had killed the screen process accidentally. So I
cannot provide the strace now :(

I will post the related straces if get into the same trouble again.
Thanks for your help.

-- Pandu

---

From: "Samir Unni" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 07:56:02 -0500

Hi,

Sorry, but I don't know how to do that. I do know that the general syntax is
'bind <key> <action>', which you would place in your .screenrc file. I'm not
sure what the key is for locking, or what the syntax for locking would be.
Perhaps someone else can help out?

Thanks,

Samir

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 11:00 PM, Pandurangan R S <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> >> > be to avoid sending too much data over a low bandwidth connection. I
> try
> >> > to