Subject: Windows groups with window splits

From: "David Chanters" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 09:25:22 +0100

Hi -

i don't know if this has been asked before, but i am using the GIT
version of screen and am wondering if i can do the following:

Assume i have two windows under screen, window1 and window2.  In
window1 i issue the :split command and quite rightly then get a split
window.  However, if i then switch to window2, whichever split region
i was in switches to window2.  what i would rather is the split
windows are contained just to window1 - window2 should have no split
windows at all when i switch to it.

i've read that one can have window groups but theres very little
documentation - is this something which would allow me to achieve
this?

Thanks!

David

_______________________________________________
screen-users mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/screen-users

---

From: Sadrul Habib Chowdhury <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 09:58:12 -0400

> windows at all when i switch to it.

Sounds like you want layouts, a new feature in 4.1.0.

> documentation - is this something which would allow me to achieve

Layouts aren't documented [all that well]
(https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?23597). But for a quick intro: the
possible layout commands are:

	layout new
	layout save <name>
	layout next
	layout prev
	layout show
	layout title [title]
	layout select
	layout autosave on|off
	layout number [number]

The commands do what you would expect them to do. :)

Someone should totally write up the documentation!

Sadrul