Subject: Open a window relative to the current

From: "Kazuo Teramoto" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 21:33:52 -0300

Hello!

I looked on the git repo and found a commit with relative arguments to
:number (5e97f6b72586af80dee92396bb7e795902b59200) now I like to ask
if is possible to open a new window (like 'screen vim .zshrc')
relative to the current? Is this possible now or is a feature request?

Thanks!

Kazuo Teramoto

-- 
«Dans la vie, rien n'est à craindre, tout est à comprendre»
Marie Sklodowska Curie.
_______________________________________________
screen-users mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/screen-users

---

From: "Kazuo Teramoto" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 16:02:46 -0300

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 3:53 PM, Micah Cowan <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I'm not sure what you mean by this. The default for the "screen" command
> has always been to open the first available number (starting at 0); you
> can always give it the window number you want, though.

Let me give a example, if I have 3 open windows:
|0:zsh|1:zsh|2:irssi|
and call 'screen vim' on terminal 1:zsh I like the window open to the
left side of 1, and now I have:
|0:zsh|1:zsh|2:vim|3:irssi|

If you read the feature request posted at
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?15469 that originated the patch from
Sadrul to implement relative args to number you see that this what the
request is about.

---

From: Micah Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 16:17:08 -0700

> Sadrul to implement relative args to number you see that this what the

It doesn't look to me like that's what it was about. It looks to me like
Sadrul's fix is what it was about. It says things about moving existing
windows via the "number" command; there's nothing on that report
regarding where new "screen" windows are placed.

I have to say that I'd be rather disinclined to add this feature.
However, when scripting support is available (or if you'd like to try
Sadrul's lua patch), such a thing should be implementable by the user.

- --
Micah J. Cowan
Programmer, musician, typesetting enthusiast, gamer.
GNU Maintainer: wget, screen, teseq
http://micah.cowan.name/